On August 17th, 2010, Deputy Prime Minister Professor Nguyen Thien Nhan on behalf of the Government issued Decision No. 1483/QD-TTg approving the National Program for the Development of Mathematics until 2020 (NPDM). The critical point of the Program is to set up Vietnam Institute for Advanced Study in Mathematics (VIASM).
NEWS – ACTIVITIES
Since 2012, the Program has implemented other activities such as awarding 37 mathematical research (each award worths 26.25 millions VND), granting scholarships for the school-year 2012-2013 to 155 math students from 12 universities and 286 high-school students all over Vietnam (each scholarship worths 14.7 millions VND for the whole year or 7.35 millions VND for each semester).
In 2013, the NPDM continued granting scholarships for the school year 2013-2014 to 167 math students and 265 high school gifted students specializing in math (each scholarship worths 8.05 millions VND), as well as selecting and awarding 78 math publications (each award worths 28.75 millions VND).
Moreover, three training schools for math teachers from high schools for gifted students have been held with the total participation of 82 teachers:
- The first training school for high school math teachers in the North was held from August 26 – 31, 2013 at VIASM, Hanoi.
- The second training school for high school math teachers in the Central parts of Vietnam was held from October 10 – 15, 2013 in Da Nang.
- The third training school for high school math teachers in the South was held from November 21 – 26, 2013 in Can Tho.
Besides that, 2 training schools for high school gifted students specializing in math were also succesfully held in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City (total of 175 students):
- “Summer School for students 2013” from July 28 to August 6, 2013 at Institute of Mathematics – VAST (Hanoi). Number of students: 86. Number of teachers: 8.
- “Mathematics Meeting 2013” from August 3 – 9, 2013 in Ho Chi Minh City. Number of students: 89. Number of teachers: 12.
In addition, two conferences on enhancing the quality of mathematical teaching at universities named “Math books and materials for universities” have been held in two parts of the country (the southern and northern ones) this year, attracted more than 160 lecturers from more than 50 universities over the country.
In 2014, training schools for math teachers from high schools for gifted students as well as schools for college and high school gifted students specializing in math will also be held. The Program has also implemented the first steps for math books and materials for universities (following the two conferences mentioned above).